If you have a particularly active child, then you’re probably worried that one day they’re going to have a dental emergency. Maybe you’ve avoided the dentist because they have a significant fear of the dental chair or receiving treatment, even if they desperately need it. Skipping the dentist is not the answer; instead, consider learning about sedation dentistry!
Choosing this safe method of relaxing your child during treatment far outweighs the consequences of skipping visits altogether. Here’s what you can expect from an emergency dentist in Irving!
A Calming Environment is Essential
While every dental practice should have a calming environment, especially for young patients, practices that put a focus on emergency care have extra incentive to make their offices more relaxing. If your child has anxiety or reservations about receiving dental care, it’s only going to make future visits that much more difficult going into adulthood. This is going to be the case whether it be for routine cleanings and examinations or for treating dental injuries.
Therefore, establishing a positive relationship with their dentist now will only make treating emergencies easier, whether they are caused by trauma or long-term decay.
How Sedation Can Make a Difference
Many parents may already be aware of sedation dentistry and how it can help adults, but when it comes to children they usually tend to hesitate. However, it should be noted that when sedation is administered by a professional, there is absolutely no reason parents should be afraid. Sedation has been largely established in dental offices, especially for practices focusing on emergency dentistry.
If your child has any of the following issues when they visit the dentist, sedation dentistry just may be the solution. These include:
- Dental anxiety or fear
- Low pain threshold
- Sensitive gag reflex
- Large amounts of dental work to get done
- Special needs
- Difficulty keeping still in the dental chair
These issues won’t just make it difficult for them to receive treatment, but for the dentist to provide treatment as effectively as possible.
Which Method is Right for Your Child?
Now that you know sedation is safe in the hands of an expert, which one should your child use? The answer depends on what your child’s needs are.
- Nitrous Oxide – This form utilizes sedative gas that’s administered through a nasal mask. It’s most ideal for those with mild levels of anxiety and allows for on-the-fly adjustments during treatment. The effects also wear off quickly after the mask is removed.
- Oral Conscious – This form is administered through a pill and often taken several hours before treatment occurs. It’s more ideal for those with moderate levels of anxiety. Because of it’s added strength, the effects tend to last for several hours after treatment is complete, so make sure your child’s schedule matches this.
- NuCalm Sedation – This alternative form of sedation utilizes natural supplements, eye masks, and audible stimuli to make relaxing easier during treatment.
Have more questions about keeping your child relaxed during dental emergencies? Schedule an appointment to get emergency dental care in Irving today!
About the Author
Dr. Natalie Stimpson and her team are fully-qualified to administer all mentioned forms of sedation effectively and safely. If your child is experiencing a dental emergency, don’t hesitate to get it handled without fear or anxiety. You can do so by contacting their office through their website.